Re: JDBC 4 Compliance

От David Johnston
Тема Re: JDBC 4 Compliance
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Bryan Varner wrote
> As an aside, I think it's interesting that the longer this thread goes,
> the more it proves the point that it's easier to just go do it yourself.

Define "it".  What specifically is easier to accomplish on your own?  What
goals and restrictions are you setting for re-inventing the wheel?  How much
of the existing work are you going to simply copy?

The thing bothering you right now is politics which, by broad definition, is
the resolving of differences between individuals.  Of course "do[ing] it
yourself" is going to resolve the political issues since there is no more
"between individuals" aspect to deal with anymore.  It is also a big cop-out
from the perspective of the pre-existing community.  Sure, go off on your
own and when you come back in a couple of years maybe what you did will be
what we need/want - but since you weren't interacting with us in the
meantime who knows.  Maybe you don't care if it works for anyone else but
yourself and a few others who happen to stumble upon it (and would simply be
thrilled if indeed it becomes the new standard somehow) and while that isn't
necessarily a bad/wrong position to take it is by some definitions selfish;
and regardless is anathema to those, like Dave, who because of the community
focus cannot simply throw everything away and start fresh; and definitely
doesn't want to make things easier by taking the politics out of the
process.  Since "transition" is necessary so are the politics.  And its
better to get that out of the way now since politics can influence
technology but seldom does it work the other way around.

David J.