Re: Weird failure with latches in curculio on v15

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Weird failure with latches in curculio on v15
Дата
Re: Weird failure with latches in curculio on v15  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2023-02-01 16:21:16 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> It's always in proc_exit() in StartupProcShutdownHandler(), a SIGTERM
>> handler which is allowed to call that while in_restore_command is
>> true.

> Ugh, no wonder we're getting crashes. This whole business seems bogus as
> hell.

Indeed :-(

> I don't see a choice but to revert the recent changes. They need a
> fairly large rewrite.

9a740f81e clearly made things a lot worse, but it wasn't great
before.  Can we see a way forward to removing the problem entirely?

The fundamental issue is that we have no good way to break out
of system(), and I think the original idea was that
in_restore_command would be set *only* for the duration of the
system() call.  That's clearly been lost sight of completely,
but maybe as a stopgap we could try to get back to that.