Re: Running out of memory at vacuum

От Ioana Danes
Тема Re: Running out of memory at vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Jeff,

Yes stop/start of the application server does close all the connections to the database.
Lately I did restart postgres too everytime that happened. It did happen in the past, last year sometime when I tried just to close the app and it was not enough. I might mix up different scenarios thought because I did have another issue when the by mistake the max connections were set to 1000 and run out of memory for good reason. So it might have been happened in that case not now.

I will keep you updated.

Thank you,
Ioana

From: Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>
To: Ioana Danes <ioanasoftware@yahoo.ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:56:07 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Running out of memory at vacuum

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:35 AM, Ioana Danes <ioanasoftware@yahoo.ca> wrote:
Hi Jeff,

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013, Ioana Danes wrote:

The fix is to restart postgres ... If I only close the connections the problem is still these so I need to restart postgres.

How are you closing the connections?

I restart the application server. The problem is that the max_idle connections was set to 1000 on jdbc connection so once the spike happened the app would run with 300 connections and 250 of them or so IDLE for most of the time. I am fixing that

Hi Ionana,  thanks for the responses.  Does restarting the app server successfully cause all of those connections to terminate?  If so, and yet you still have memory problems, then there is still the mystery of where the memory is going.

Cheers,

Jeff