Re: In what situations do you use -U of initdb?

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: In what situations do you use -U of initdb?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> I'd like to hear other cases like:
>
> - Packaged applications (not OS) that embeds or uses PostgreSQL
> - The corporate environment where some security policy is
>   enforced that the OS user and the database administrator user
>   must be different

Well, where I used to work, we had many instances of PostgreSQL
running on a server, and found it to be *very* good policy to use a
different OS user to run each cluster.  We wanted the inital
superuser login to match the OS user, for "trust" login.  (The
superuser login had no password; you had to log in as yourself and
run use sudo to run as a database superuser, or root could schedule
crontab jobs to run as a database superuser.)  So, essentially, the
database superuser was always a name meaningful for the cluster --
never postgres.

We never liked to allow any OS login except as an identifiable
person, and then we could track who was logged in when and what
they ran through sudo.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company