Re: Hints

От Marek Černocký
Тема Re: Hints
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page píše v Čt 25. 04. 2013 v 14:54 +0100:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Marek Černocký <marek@manet.cz> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I updated Czech version of hint files. (attachment hints-cs_CZ.zip)
> >
> > While testing, I found two problems with hints.
> >
> > 1. Displays garbage non-ASCII chars for UTF-8 encoded files. I changed
> > code to suppose all hint files are UTF-8 encoded and load it right way.
> > I fixed files, which didn't have UTF-8 header.
>
> Are they all UTF-8? I wouldn't be surprised if some languages were
> using other encodings.

It concerns three languages:
en_US: uses only ASCII and header change don't affect content
fr_FR: 3 files have header Windows-1215 although they are saved in UTF-8
- it's anyway an bug
sl_SI: uses non-ASCII chars converted to entities so header change don't
affect content

> > 2. If config file .pgadmin3 has not set item LanguageId,
> > wxLANGUAGE_UNKNOWN is used and user see en_US hints instead by your
> > locale. I changed it to wxLANGUAGE_DEFAULT.
>
> If memory serves, that's intentionally done to ensure it falls back to
> the one, guaranteed supported language.
>
> However, these are translation issues which is not an area I'm overly
> confident in, so I'll leave it to Guillaume to comment further.

Maybe some reason for this behavior. But for user it's unfriendly. He
install pgadmin3, run it first time and UI uses his language (by
locale). OK. He starts work and hint popups in English. What user will
think? It's untranslated. It will not explore hidden options to display
it in correct language.

You (or Guillaume) can suggest other code changes, but behavior should
be to display hints in right language after installation straight away.