Re: BUG #3822: Nonstandard precedence for comparison operators

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #3822: Nonstandard precedence for comparison operators
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> writes:
> I'm probably being dense, but I don't see how this is an issue.

That's just a bug in his example ;-)

The real question is whether there is enough of a problem here to
justify creating new problems, in the form of backwards-compatibility
hazards.  One complaint in ten years tells me there's not.  We know
what the SQL-portability hot-button issues are, because we have gotten
repeated complaints about them --- identifier case-folding and
backslashes in string literals are two that spring to mind instantly.
If operator precedence were an issue worth spending time on, it would
have come up before, repeatedly.

I would not actually object to making small tweaks in the precedence
rules to move a little closer to spec compliance; it undoubtedly is
just plain weird that = and <> have their own precedence rules.
However, "closer to spec" is a lot weaker argument than "matches spec",
and I really don't think that we want to try to match the spec exactly
in this area.

What I do *not* want to do is invest the level of effort suggested
by Kevin, with two grammars or whatever it would take to make that
happen.  This problem is not worth that.