Re: Error message cleanup

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Error message cleanup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Are you going to change "relation" to "table"?  In most cases that is
> the intended meaning.  ISTM in some other cases it refers to anything
> that can appear in pg_class, but I'm not 100% sure.

Quite a lot of the code considers "relation" to mean "anything that has
a pg_class entry", which is a definition that's gotten fuzzier and
fuzzier as we've thrown more stuff into pg_class.  (Standalone composite
types, for example, hardly qualify as a relation by anyone's
understanding of the term.  But they have pg_class entries now.)

I don't mind rewording error messages to say "table" when in fact they
could only be referring to plain tables.  But let's not just move the
fuzziness over from "relation" to "table".