Re: single quotation confusion

От David Johnston
Тема Re: single quotation confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
R10 wrote
> i am connecting a postgresql database to a netbeans form , and when i try
> to execute a query which includes a string entered through a Jtextfield
> that contain the special charachter " ' " it reads it as a single
> quotation
> for example if a String txt = "it's cold" and to be inserted into a sql
> query "insert into test values ('"+txt+"')";
> it gives me
> syntax error at or near "s"
>
> any ideas how to solve that problem ??

In short you do not build queries by directly concatenating user-supplied
data.  You use a PREPARED STATEMENT with placeholders and then use the
setXXX methods to map the data.

SQL: INSERT INTO test VALUES (?)

Others may be able to provide more concrete suggestions but otherwise find
some books/articles on database programming in Java.  This is not a
PostgreSQL specific topic/solution.  I've known this for so long now I
really cannot point you to any educational materials.

David J.