INSERT RETURNING and partitioning

От pdovera@tiscali.it
Тема INSERT RETURNING and partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,
I've noticed that an insert command with returning clause returns an
empty result set if done on a master table. Instead the same insert
with returning on partitioned tables works correctly.

Do you know if it's a normal action? I'm doing something wrong?

The partitioning works correctly with all kind of SQL commands:
select, delete, update and "normal" insert.

I've read the manual and it reports this:
"The optional RETURNING clause causes INSERT to compute and return
value(s) based on each row actually inserted. This is primarily useful
for obtaining values that were supplied by defaults, such as a serial
sequence number. However, any expression using the table's columns is
allowed. The syntax of the RETURNING list is identical to that of the
output list of SELECT."

but nothing about partitioning ...

Regards,
Paolo

PS: I'm using PostgreSQL 8.3.4 on x86 Linux box

SCARICA TISCALI WIPHONE: parla e invia SMS gratis dal tuo cellulare.
http://wiphone.tiscali.it