Re: Printing backtrace of postgres processes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Printing backtrace of postgres processes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> It should be quite doable to emit such backtraces directly to stderr,
> instead of using appendStringInfoString()/elog().

No, please no.

(1) On lots of logging setups (think syslog), anything that goes to
stderr is just going to wind up in the bit bucket.  I realize that
we have that issue already for memory context dumps on OOM errors,
but that doesn't make it a good thing.

(2) You couldn't really write "to stderr", only to fileno(stderr),
creating issues about interleaving of the output with regular stderr
output.  For instance it's quite likely that the backtrace would
appear before stderr output that had actually been emitted earlier,
which'd be tremendously confusing.

(3) This isn't going to do anything good for my concerns about interleaved
output from different processes, either.