Re: Timestamp vs. Java Date/Timestamp

От Andreas Reichel
Тема Re: Timestamp vs. Java Date/Timestamp
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Dave,

my previous post was not correct, but I finally found the culprit:

For any reason we use bindString:

bindString(i, connection.getTimestampUtils().toString(cal, d),
Oid.UNSPECIFIED);

which formats Date into a String, but without information on the time:

public synchronized String toString(Calendar cal, Date x) {
        if (cal == null)
            cal = defaultCal;

        cal.setTime(x);
        sbuf.setLength(0);

        if (x.getTime() == PGStatement.DATE_POSITIVE_INFINITY) {
            sbuf.append("infinity");
        } else if (x.getTime() == PGStatement.DATE_NEGATIVE_INFINITY) {
            sbuf.append("-infinity");
        } else {
// the date only but no time
            appendDate(sbuf, cal);
//
            appendEra(sbuf, cal);
            appendTimeZone(sbuf, cal);
        }

        showString("date", cal, x, sbuf.toString());

        return sbuf.toString();
    }

When I modified this function into:

public synchronized String toString(Calendar cal, Date x) {
        if (cal == null)
            cal = defaultCal;

        cal.setTime(x);
        sbuf.setLength(0);

        if (x.getTime() == PGStatement.DATE_POSITIVE_INFINITY) {
            sbuf.append("infinity");
        } else if (x.getTime() == PGStatement.DATE_NEGATIVE_INFINITY) {
            sbuf.append("-infinity");
        } else {
            appendDate(sbuf, cal);

// obey the time too as java.util.Date holds the time
            sbuf.append(" ");
            appendTime(sbuf, cal, 0);
//
            appendEra(sbuf, cal);
            appendTimeZone(sbuf, cal);
        }

        showString("date", cal, x, sbuf.toString());

        return sbuf.toString();
    }

everything works as expected and also everything else still worked well.
(My program uses a lot of date/time conversions so I have some
confidence).

Now there are two questions please:

a) would you like to apply this small change because java.util.Date
holds time information so we should obey it

b) why is there all this Date/String conversion instead just using
millis/Long? I expected using setDate() gives better performance than
handing over Strings but now I found that it does exactly the same and
in an unexpected way?

Best regards
Andreas