Re: [HACKERS] casting & type comments

От Brett McCormick
Тема Re: [HACKERS] casting & type comments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 13 March 1998, at 15:19:24, David Gould wrote:

> > What do you all think about the fact that cast(anytype as varchar)
> > results in a call to a procedure that is not creatable with 'create
> > function'?
>
> Not too nice...
>
> > Perhaps we should re-think our casting implementation,
> > maybe one that isn't based on just rewriting itself into a function
> > call :) If I wanted to call a function, I would :)
>
> But, this is the real strength of Postgres, everything is treated uniformly
> and everything can be extended by defining functions. To hardcode certain
> types would be to lose the one of the most creative and desireable aspects
> of the system.

I'm certainly not saying that this aspect of the postgres system
should be changed, but rather a different way of mapping casts to
functions, so we don't run into problems like this, and perhaps a
fall-back to a straight string cast (i.e. call the destination types
input function on the return value of the source types output
function)..

One downside to all this is if I already have a function called
whatever, and suddenly someone wants to add a type called whatever,
that function would be used for casting when it really shouldn't, and
could have unexpected results..

--brett