Re: make check error on -HEAD

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: make check error on -HEAD
Дата
Re: make check error on -HEAD  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Oh, so you are using yesterday's libpq.so shared library ;-)
>>
>> I am not sure there is any way around that except to go ahead and
>> install today's libpq.  pg_regress can't do much more than set
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and evidently that's not enough to make the Linux
>> dynamic loader take the version of libpq.so that's in the temp
>> installation rather than the one you previously installed.

> Yep, I saw the same thing here and make install fixed it.

I looked at this a bit more and found that on Linux, the dynamic
loader is documented to search "rpath" before LD_LIBRARY_PATH;
so had we not specified an rpath when building the psql executable,
pg_regress would have worked as intended.  Sounds like BSD is the same.

Now, not specifying rpath seems like a sure loss for every context
except "make check" with an uninstalled version.  So I'm afraid we have
to live with it.  It might be worthwhile for build-farm builds to use
"configure --disable-rpath", if they want to "make check" without
installing first.