Re: Multiple --table options for other commands

От Karl O. Pinc
Тема Re: Multiple --table options for other commands
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/13/2012 07:37:27 PM, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Karl O. Pinc <kop@meme.com> wrote:

> pages

> >> I want the ... outside the square braces, because the --table (or
> -t)
> >> must repeat for each table specified.  Like:
> >>
> >> vacuumdb [connection-option...] [option...] [ --table | -t table
> >> [( column [,...] )] ]... [dbname]
> >>
> >> reindexdb [connection-option...] [ --table | -t table ]... [
> >> |

> >> -i index ]... [dbname]
> >
> >> Have you had trouble getting this to work?
> >
> > Perhaps <arg choice="opt"><arg rep="repeat"> ... would work?
>
> Well, I fooled around with the SGML for a bit and came up with
> something which has the ellipses in brackets:
>
>   [ --table | -t table ] [...]
>
> which I like a little better than not having the second set of
> brackets. New version attached.

The problem is that the pg man pages would then have a
syntax different from all the other man pages in the system,
which all have ... outside of square braces.
See "man cat", e.g.
(I wonder if the problem is because the style sheets
have been tweaked to work well with sql?)

Because I don't see the traditional man page ellipsis syntax
anywhere in the pg docs, and because all the pg
client command line programs that use repeating arguments
all have a simplified syntax summary with just [options ...]
or some such, I suspect that there may be a problem
putting the ellipsis outside of the square braces.

It would be nice if we could get some guidance from someone
more familiar with the pg docbook stylesheets.

As a fallback I'd do to the clusterdb, reindexdb, and vacuumdb
syntax summaries what was done to the pg_dump and pg_restore
syntax summaries.  Remove all the detail.  This is sucky,
and _still_ leaves the reference pages with a syntax summary syntax
that differs from regular man pages, but because the text
is relatively information free nobody notices.

My inclination, since you can't make it work
and we don't seem to be getting any help here,
is to remove all the detail in the syntax summaries,
push it through to a committer, and get some feedback that way.

Regards,

Karl <kop@meme.com>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."                -- Robert A. Heinlein

Сообщение: Re: Multiple --table options for other commands
Сообщение: Re: Multiple --table options for other commands