Re: initdb -S and tablespaces

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: initdb -S and tablespaces
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2015-05-08 22:08:31 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Of course, even the last one isn't totally bullet-proof.  Suppose one
>> backend fails to absorb the new setting for some reason...

> I've a hard time worrying much about that one...

You should.  At the very least, whatever recipe we write for changing
fsync safely has to include a clause like "wait for all postmaster
children to have absorbed the new fsync setting".  The facts that (a) this
could be a long time and (b) there's no easy way to be entirely certain
about when it's done don't make it something you should ignore.

I wonder whether we should change fsync to be PGC_POSTMASTER and then
document the safe procedure as requiring a postmaster restart.