Re: bytea performance issue

От brian stone
Тема Re: bytea performance issue
Дата
Список pgsql-general
So there is no confusion as to why my output has 10 lines that say "Error:", the pg error printf line should read:

printf("Error: %s\n", PQresultErrorMessage(res));

skye

brian stone <skye0507@yahoo.com> wrote:
I have not tried profiling yet; I am no pro at that.

output of "SELECT version()"
PostgreSQL 8.2rc1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)

This is the test program.  I run it on the same machine as the postmaster.  I am not sure, but I would assume that uses unix sockets rather than tcp.

// CREATE TABLE my_stuff (data bytea);

int main(void)
{
  int i;
  PGconn *conn;
  unsigned char *data[1];
  int datal = 1024*1024;
  int data_format = 1;
  PGresult *res;

  conn = PQsetdb(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, "testdb");
  if(!conn)
  {
    printf("failed to connect to 'testdb'\n");
    return 1;
  }

  data[0] = (unsigned char *)malloc(datal);
  for(i=0; i < 10; i++)
  {
    res = PQexecParams(
      conn,
      "INSERT INTO my_stuff (data) VALUES ($1)",
      1,
      NULL,
      (const char * const *)data,
      (const int *)&datal,
      (const int *)&data_format,
      1);

    if(res)
    {
      printf("%s\n", PQresultErrorMessage(res));
      PQclear(res);
    }
  }

  PQfinish(conn);
  return 0;
}

gcc -I/usr/local/pgsql/include -o bytea_test bytea_test.c -lpq -lcrypt

Output of - `time ./bytea_test`
Error:
Error:
Error:
Error:
Error:
Error:
Error:
Error:
Error:
Error:

real    0m9.300s
user    0m0.013s
sys     0m0.010s

Thanks,
skye

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
brian stone writes:
> I have to store binary data in a table, ranging from 512K - 1M. I am getting very poor performance when inserting this data.
> create table my_stuff (data bytea);
> I then try to insert 10 1M blobs into this table using PQexecParams from C. It takes ~10 seconds to insert the 10 records.
> The test is being performed locally so this is not a network issue. If I change the data I send from the client to 1M worth of text, and change the 'my_stuff.data' to TEXT, the same test takes ~2 seconds. Has anyone else seen this performance issue with bytea?

How are you transmitting the data exactly? Have you tried using
oprofile or some such to identify the culprit?

It does sound like escaping could be the issue, except that if you're
sending binary parameters as your message suggests (but doesn't actually
say) then there shouldn't be any escape processing going on.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

Bored stiff? Loosen up...