Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump and thousands of schemas

От Denis
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump and thousands of schemas
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump and thousands of schemas
Список pgsql-performance
Jeff Janes wrote
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Denis <

> socsam@

> > wrote:
>>
>> Still I can't undesrtand why pg_dump has to know about all the tables?
>
> Strictly speaking it probably doesn't need to.  But it is primarily
> designed for dumping entire databases, and the efficient way to do
> that is to read it all into memory in a few queries and then sort out
> the dependencies, rather than tracking down every dependency
> individually with one or more trips back to the database.  (Although
> it still does make plenty of trips back to the database per
> table/sequence, for acls, defaults, attributes.
>
> If you were to rewrite pg_dump from the ground up to achieve your
> specific needs (dumping one schema, with no dependencies between to
> other schemata) you could probably make it much more efficient.  But
> then it wouldn't be pg_dump, it would be something else.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff
>

> --

Please don't think that I'm trying to nitpick here, but pg_dump has options
for dumping separate tables and that's not really consistent with the idea
that "pg_dump is primarily  designed for dumping entire databases".