Re: optimizer cost calculation problem

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: optimizer cost calculation problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> This isn't really an issue for 64 bit hardware is it?

Is "int" 64 bits on such a machine?  The ones I've dealt with chose to
set int = 32bits, long = 64bits.  If they don't do that then they have
a problem with not having any native C 32bit type (and promoting short
int up to 32 bits just moves the problem...)

At some point we should probably try to regularize the backend code so
that all memory-size-related calcs are consistently done in size_t or
ssize_t arithmetic; but we're a long way from that at present.  For now
I think it's prudent to keep sort_mem small enough to avoid overflow in
int32 arithmetic.