Re: Using pg_upgrade on log-shipping standby servers

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Using pg_upgrade on log-shipping standby servers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 01:02 -0700, Daniel Farina wrote:
> Could pg_upgrade emit WAL segment(s) to provide continuity of a
> timeline?  So something like:

By "segments" did you mean "records"?

> * Take down the writable primary for pg_upgrade
> * Some WAL is emitted and possibly archived
> * The old version, when reaching the special pg_upgrade WAL, could
> exit or report its situation having paused replay (as clearly, it
> cannot proceed). Unsure.

I don't really understand this step.

> * Start up a new version of postgres on the same cluster at that
> point, which plays the upgrade-WAL.
>
> I see this being pretty mechanically intensive, but right now my hands
> are completely tied as to achieving total continuity of my archives,
> costing a base-backup's worth of risk window upon upgrade.

Does "continuity of archives" mean "avoid downtime" or "maintain a
single WAL sequence".

Regards,Jeff Davis

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Split contrib documentation into extensions and programs