Re: Freeze when trying to run a pg_dump backup file as SQL query

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: Freeze when trying to run a pg_dump backup file as SQL query
Список pgadmin-support
On Sat, 2012-07-14 at 01:26 +1000, Evan Martin wrote:
> No comments at all? Can anyone else at least repro this?

Don't know for others, but I was overloaded translating in french the
PostgreSQL 9.2 manual. Now that's it's done, I can get back on hacking
pgAdmin.

> On 6/07/2012 10:33 PM, Evan Martin wrote:
> > I've reliably reproduced the freezing bug I mentioned before (in the
> > suggestion to save query text). pgAdmin freezes when I try to run a
> > backup file created by pg_dump from an SQL query window. The file
> > contents look like this:
> >
> > COPY much_data (some_data) FROM stdin;
> > BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH
> > BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH
> > BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH
> > BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH
> > BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH
> > \.
> >
> > When I run that the output window shows:
> >
> > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "BLAH"
> > LINE 2: BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH/...
> >
> > That's fine (well, it would be nice if pgAdmin supported restoring
> > such files, but that's another story) - but then it freezes. It
> > doesn't happen with 5 lines as above, but if I have 100 lines of data
> > that's enough to make it freeze for a few seconds. With a real back-up
> > file of 1 MB or more it probably won't come back any time soon and has
> > to be killed. (It doesn't need to be real data - just copy/paste the 5
> > BLAH lines above 20 times to reproduce the problem.)
> >
> > I'm running pgAdmin 1.14.3 running on Windows 7 (x64), PostgreSQL 9.1.3

I reproduce this with something around 400 lines. We used an very
inefficient way to find the part of the query that was wrong, to
highlight it. This is now fixed in 1.16, and master branches.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info