Re: Schema version management

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Schema version management
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On lör, 2012-07-14 at 10:41 +0200, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > Personally, I hate this proposed nested directory structure.  I would
> > like to have all objects in one directory.
> >
> > But there is a lot of "personally" in this thread, of course.
>

> Why do you hate it?
>
> It's a bit like saying,
>  - I hate database normalization, better to keep all rows in one single
> table.
> or even,
>  - I hate directories.

To a certain extent, yes, I hate (excessive use of) directories.

> I have thousands of objects, it would be a total mess to keep them all in a
> single directory.

Thousands of objects could be a problem, in terms of how the typical
file system tools scale.  But hundreds or a few thousand not
necessarily.  It's easy to browse, filter, and sort using common tools,
for example.

> Using a normalized directory structure makes sense for the SCM use-case,

If there is a theory of "normalization" for hierarchical databases, I
don't know it but would like to learn about it.

> I haven't seen any projects where all the files are kept in one directory.

Well, of course everyone uses directories in moderation.  But you might
want to take a look at the gcc source code.  You'll love it. ;-)