Re: Postgres 11: Table Partitioning and Primary Keys

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgres 11: Table Partitioning and Primary Keys
Дата
Re: Postgres 11: Table Partitioning and Primary Keys  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-docs
> That's a mild personal preference only though.  Anyway, based on your
> proposed wording, I wrote this:

>      <listitem>
>       <para>
>        Unique constraints on partitioned tables (as well as primary keys)
>        must constrain all the partition key columns.  This limitation exists
>        because <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> can only enforce
>        uniqueness in each partition individually.
>       </para>
>      </listitem>

> I'm not really sure about the "must constrain" verbiage.  Is that really
> comprehensible?

I think "must include" might be better.

> In CREATE TABLE, we already have this:
>      <para>
>       When establishing a unique constraint for a multi-level partition
>       hierarchy, all the columns in the partition key of the target
>       partitioned table, as well as those of all its descendant partitioned
>       tables, must be included in the constraint definition.
>      </para>

> which may not be the pinnacle of clarity, but took some time to craft
> and I think is correct.  Also it doesn't mention primary keys
> explicitly; maybe we should patch it by adding "(as well as a primary
> key)" right after "a unique constraint".  Thoughts?

I'd leave that alone.  I don't think the parenthetical comment about
primary keys in your new text is adding much either.

Сообщение: Re: Postgres 11: Table Partitioning and Primary Keys
Сообщение: Re: Postgres 11: Table Partitioning and Primary Keys