Re: Starting a cluster as a service

От Léa Massiot
Тема Re: Starting a cluster as a service
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi again,

I'm running "PostgreSQL 9.1" under "Windows XP".
I'm still trying to set a proper logging system for a PostgreSQL cluster
"a_pg_cluster".

In the cluster "postgresql.conf" configuration file, I uncommented
"logging_connector = on".
When I stopped + started the service, I could see a "pg_log" directory had
been created with a log file inside.

Now, I would like:
1) to store the cluster log files somewhere else say, for example:
"C:\postgresql\logs\a_pg_cluster\"
2) to have several small log files instead of a big one and log rotation.

Yet, when I set the "log_directory" parameter in the following way:
"log_directory = 'C:\postgresql\logs\a_pg_cluster\'"
and stop + start the service, it fails with always the same unusable
message:
"The a_pgcluster_srv service on Local Computer started and then stopped.
Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example,
the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

In the manual, one can read:
"When logging_collector is enabled, this parameter determines the directory
in which log files will be created. It can be specified as an absolute path,
or relative to the cluster data directory. This parameter can only be set in
the postgresql.conf file or on the server command line."

So, what's wrong with it?

I would be happy with the following configuration:

logging_collector = on
log_directory = "C:\postgresql\logs\a_pg_cluster\"
log_filename = 'postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log'
log_rotation_size = 10MB
log_min_messages = PANIC
log_error_verbosity = VERBOSE

except, it doesn't work... and I'm not sure about the levels "PANIC" and
"VERBOSE".

Can you help?

Thank you and best regards.