Re: initdb and fsync

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: initdb and fsync
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Jeff Davis's message of lun jun 18 15:32:25 -0400 2012:
> On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 20:57 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:

> > Btw, I just want to have said this, although I don't think its particularly
> > relevant as it doesn't affect correctness: Its possible to have a system where
> > sync_file_range is in the system headers but the kernel during runtime doesn't
> > support it. It is relatively new (2.6.17). It would be possible to fallback to
> > posix_fadvise which has been around far longer in that case...
>
> Interesting point, but I'm not too worried about it.

Yeah.  2.6.17 was released on June 2006.  The latest stable release
prior to 2.6.17 was 2.6.16.62 in 2008 and it was abandoned at that time
in favor of 2.6.27 as the new stable branch.

I don't think this is a problem any sane person is going to face; and
telling them to upgrade to a newer kernel seems an acceptable answer.