Re: Re: Group role not shown in properties > Default Privileges after adding it

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: Re: Group role not shown in properties > Default Privileges after adding it
Список pgadmin-support
On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 09:55 -0500, Aren Cambre wrote:
> > This doesn't make sense. If I create a login role, it should show up here
> >> and allow me to assign it to arbitrary tables.
> >>

> > That's intentional (and configurable): see
> > http://www.pgadmin.org/support/faq.php#UserPrivileges
> >

> Argh, thanks. Now I remember running into this before.
>
> This needs to be more clearly explained in the UI. I am an IT pro, and I
> totally understand the best practice of assigning groups and not users. But
> if you are imposing this rule on us, you need to make this clear in the UI
> and not send users on a wild goose chase. In this case, neither the UI nor
> the pgAdmin docs clearly explained this. I'd have to troll through a FAQ to
> figure it out.

We need to work a lot on the docs (BTW, Dave, did you get in touch with
Susan?). This is something I want to do during the beta period if I find
the time.

About the UI, if you have any idea, I'm listening. Because I have no
idea how to make it better.

> In my case, I am the only user of the DB, and there are a small number of
> accounts, so it's much easier for me to directly assign users.
>
> In the end, this is just a recommended practice, not a Postgres rule. The
> UI should not make our lives miserable if we don't want to follow the
> recommendation.

Yes, recommended pratice, not a rule. That's why I would be in favor of
making the default to show groups and users, and let the user decide if
he wants to display only groups.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info