Re: Is full_page_writes=off safe in conjunction with PITR?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Is full_page_writes=off safe in conjunction with PITR?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> Think harder: we are only safe if the first write to a given page after
>> it's mis-copied by the archiver is a full page write.  The requirement
>> therefore continues after pg_stop_backup.  Unless you want to add
>> infrastructure to keep track for *every page* in the DB of whether it's
>> been fully written since the last backup?

> I am confused.  Since we checkpoint during pg_start_backup(), isn't any
> write to a file while the tar backup is going on going to be a full page
> write?  And once we pg_stop_backup(), do we need full page writes?

Hm.  The case I was concerned about was where a page is never written
to while the backup occurs (thus not triggering any full-page WAL
entry), and then the first post-backup write is partial.  However, if
the backup is guaranteed to have captured a non-torn copy of such a page
then there shouldn't be any problem.  So if we consider the initial
checkpoint to be a *required part* of pg_start_backup (right now it is
not) then maybe we can get away with this.  It needs more eyeballs on it
though ... after having been burnt once by full_page_writes, I'm pretty
shy ...