Re: JSON in 9.2 - Could we have just one to_json() function instead of two separate versions ?

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: JSON in 9.2 - Could we have just one to_json() function instead of two separate versions ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2012-05-05 at 12:16 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On fre, 2012-05-04 at 15:59 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > > Can we at least have the xxx_to_json() functions try cast to json
> > first
> > > and fall back to text if the cast fails.
> >
> > I think the idea that you can involve the casting machinery in this is
> > misguided.  sometextval::json has got to mean that sometextval is
> > expected to be in the form of a syntactically correct JSON value - and
> > NOT that we wrap it in a JSON string.
>
> I think it's only wrong if you try casting first and fall back to text.
> Otherwise it could work, if the set of all json casts is defined
> consistently.

Currently the default "cast" for non-number, non-bool, not-already-json,
non-null values is to wrap text representation in double quotes.

So casting first then fall back to _quoted_ text is wrong only for those
types which have a very ugly text representation :)

--
-------
Hannu Krosing