Re: Divid by zero bug in float

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Divid by zero bug in float
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> Shouldn't this produce Infinity instead of an error?
> postgresql=# select 5::float/0::float;
> ERROR:  division by zero

No, I don't think so.  SQL92 6.12 <numeric value expression> quoth:
        4) The dyadic arithmetic operators <plus sign>, <minus sign>, <as-           terisk>, and <solidus> (+, -, *,
and/, respectively) specify           addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, respec-           tively. If
thevalue of a divisor is zero, then an exception           condition is raised: data exception-division by zero.

There is nothing in there about allowing IEEE infinities instead, and
I very strongly doubt that the average database user would expect such
behavior.