Re: [BUGS] Breakage with VACUUM ANALYSE + partitions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [BUGS] Breakage with VACUUM ANALYSE + partitions
Дата
Re: [BUGS] Breakage with VACUUM ANALYSE + partitions  (Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
> I understood the point and I do not see real disadvantages. The C standard
> really says that an enum is an int, and compilers just do that.

No, it doesn't say that, and compilers don't just do that.  A compiler
is specifically allowed to store an enum in char or short if the enum's
declared values would all fit into that width.  (Admittedly, if you're
choosing the values as powers of 2, an OR of them would still fit; but
if you think "oh, an enum is just an int", you will get burned.)

More to the point, once you allow OR'd values then none of the practical
benefits of an enum still hold good.  The typical things that I rely on
in an enum that you don't get from a collection of #define's are:

* compiler warnings if you forget some members of the enum in a switch

* debugger ability to print variables symbolically

Those benefits both go up in smoke as soon as you allow OR'd values.
At that point you might as well use the #defines rather than playing
language lawyer about whether what you're doing meets the letter of
the spec.  I note that C99 specifically mentions this as something
a compiler might warn about:
        -- A  value  is  given to an object of an enumeration type           other than by assignment  of  an
enumeration constant           that  is  a  member  of  that  type,  or an enumeration           variable that has the
sametype,  or  the  value  of  a           function   that   returns  the  same  enumeration  type
(6.7.2.2).

which certainly looks like they don't consider
"enumvar = ENUMVAL1 | ENUMVAL2" to be strictly kosher.