Re: dev 1.15 wxwidgets - constraints with multiple tables

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: dev 1.15 wxwidgets - constraints with multiple tables
Список pgadmin-support
On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 16:39 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:

> On 04/06/2012 04:10 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> >> CREATE TABLE authors
> >> (
> >>     authid serial NOT NULL,
> >>     name character varying(250) NOT NULL,
> >>     CONSTRAINT authors_pkey PRIMARY KEY (authid )
> >> );
> >> CREATE TABLE books
> >> (
> >>     bookid serial NOT NULL,
> >>     authid integer NOT NULL,
> >>     title character varying(250) NOT NULL,
> >>     CONSTRAINT books_pkey PRIMARY KEY (bookid ),
> >>     CONSTRAINT books_authid_fkey FOREIGN KEY (authid)
> >>         REFERENCES authors (authid) MATCH SIMPLE
> >>         ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION,
> >>     CONSTRAINT books_bookid_key UNIQUE (bookid )
> >> );
> >> CREATE TABLE words
> >> (
> >>     wordid serial NOT NULL,
> >>     lemma character varying(100),
> >>     bookid integer,
> >>     wcount integer,
> >>     CONSTRAINT words_pkey PRIMARY KEY (wordid )
> >> );
> >> CREATE INDEX words_bookid_idx
> >>     ON words
> >>     USING btree
> >>     (bookid );
> >>

> > Thanks. So, I don't see any issues adding an fkey on words. Can you
> > describe more precisely what you do?
> >

> Okay, found my error. It works correctly if you follow the right steps.
>
> My mistake was to go straight to the columns tab of the _second_ dialog
> box, skipping the definition tab where I can select a table with the
> reference fields. Missed it entirely and did not think to look there.
>
> So, open pgadmin, drill down to table name. Right click to get context
> menu and select Properties. Select constraints tab, defaults to fkey in
> lower dropdown, click add. New dialog opens.
>
> (At this point the parent of the new dialog is still active so evidently
> the new dialog is not modal. This might lead to problems.)
>
> Continuing - at this point user is tempted to go straight to the columns
> tab but this is a mistake unless the default happens to be what you
> need. Your table might be there but probably not. Next tab should be
> definition where you have a chance to select the referencing table
> before selecting columns, in particular the referencing fields.
>
> Thoughts - is it confusing to the user to have two important fields on
> different dialog tabs?

Could be. I wouldn't object to put the table combobox in the third tab.

>  Does selecting the referencing table belong on
> the same tab as selecting the referencing field?

Sure, could be nice.

>  Yet again, would it be
> clearer for the user if the referencing field contained a list of
> table.column entries like author.authid and words.lemma?

No. Moreover, it wouldn't be consistent with the other dialogs. Having
the table name on the same tab should be enough.

>  Would use of the status bar help guide users?

No. The status bar is only available to remind you if you miss to fill
some required informations.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info