map row in one table with random row in another table

От rverghese
Тема map row in one table with random row in another table
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi, I am trying to map every row in one table with a random row in another.
So for e.g. , for each network in 1 table I am trying to map random segments
from the other table. I have this sql below, but it always applies the same
random segment that it picks to all the rows for the network. I want each
row to have a random segment value. I'm just using the generate_series
function to generate id's as an e.g.
Any suggestions?

My Query
select id, seg_list from  (select generate_series(1,10) as id) as X, (select
segment  from segments  order by random() limit 1 ) as Y

I get

1;'cob0002'
2;'cob0002'
3;'cob0002'
4;'cob0002'
5;'cob0002'
6;'cob0002'
7;'cob0002'
8;'cob0002'
9;'cob0002'
10;'cob0002'

What I want is

1;'cob0002'
2;'cob0008'
3;'cob0006'
4;'cob0004'
5;'cob0002'
6;'cob0007'
7;'cob0003'
8;'cob0004'
9;'cob0009'
10;'cob0001'

I also tried
select generate_series(1,10), (select  segment from segments  order by
random() limit 1 )