Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3

От Henrik
Тема Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
25 jun 2008 kl. 12.56 skrev Claus Guttesen:

>> We have a database with lots of small simultaneous writes and reads
>> (millions every day) and are looking at buying a good hardware for
>> this.
>>
>> What are your suggestions. What we are currently looking at is.
>>
>> Dual Quad Core Intel
>> 8 - 12 GB RAM
>>
>> 10 disks total.
>>
>> 4 x 146 GB SAS disk in RAID 1+0 for database
>> 6 x 750 GB SATA disks in RAID 1+0 or RAID 5 for OS and transactions
>> logs.
>>
>> Good RAID controller with lots of memory and BBU.
>
> I have very positive experiences with HP's DL360 and DL380. The latter
> slightly more expandable (2U vs. 1U). I have used the internal
> p400i-controller with 512 MB cache on the DL380 and bought an external
> p800-controller (512 MB cache as well) and a MSA-70-cabinet. I've have
> 11 disks in raid-6 (one hotspare).
Mmm I've used DL380 and I also have had good experience with them.

I guess that the nees of splitting up the transactions logs are not
that important if you have enought disks in a raid 10 or raid 6.

> My personal preference is FreeBSD and the DL3x0-servers all run
> without problems on this platform. But choose your OS depending on
> what you're most comfortable with. And choose hardware according to
> what your OS supports.

I like BDS also but this time its a 64bit Linux system which wil be
used.

> Our largest table has 85 mill. entries.

I believe we will be running in the 200 mill. area.

Thanks for your input!

//Henke

От: Matthew Wakeling
Сообщение: Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3
От: Henrik
Сообщение: Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3