Re: Prepared transactions vs novice DBAs, again

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Prepared transactions vs novice DBAs, again
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Maybe I'm just dumb, but I don't get it.  If I start a transaction and
> do "SELECT * FROM foo" and then wait around for an hour or two while
> someone else makes changes to foo and then do "SELECT * FROM foo"
> again, I expect to see the same rows I saw the first time, which means
> they still need to be around.

That only happens in a serializable transaction, ie, one that took
*and kept* a snapshot at transaction start.  In READ COMMITTED mode
we drop all snaps between statements, so there is nothing stopping
reclaiming of rows that were visible to prior statements.