Re: question re internal functions requiring initdb

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: question re internal functions requiring initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> It made me wonder why don't we always create internal functions this
> way, or at least all except a core set of bootstrapped functions.

I don't believe it will actually work: you *must* add an internal
function to include/catalog/pg_proc.h, or it won't get into the function
lookup table that's built by Gen_fmgrtab.sh.

It is true that you don't have to force an initdb right away, but
there's an efficiency penalty IIRC (can't bypass the lookup table
search, or something ... read the fmgr code for details).