Re: indexes and tables

От amit sehas
Тема Re: indexes and tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Yes i was trying to determine how to make a View work in this situation.
From reading the details on PostgreSQL Views are not persistent, ie they
are just a SQL query short hand rather than actually creating any physical entity backing it (i would imagine that
creatingsuch a physical backing would be inordinately difficult to keep updated given the arbitrary original query that
wasutilized to define it...)...

Is there some way inheritence can play a part in this such as

a) define a base table with 3 fields and place indexes on each one of the
   3 fields

b) define the 10 types in which we just override the name of each one of the 3 fields (i do not know if there is such a
conceptas overriding the name of a field...) perhaps a computed field which depends upon the field inherited...

that is as close as i could think of how to solve such as issue...but i am
not sure how inheritance works in POstgres...

any help is greatly appreciated...

thanks