Re: Bug Report: PgAdmin -> pg_hba.conf Editor

От Black Falcon Software, Inc.
Тема Re: Bug Report: PgAdmin -> pg_hba.conf Editor
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hello:

I am new to PostgreSQL, though I have been working with several databases since I began developing distributed systems
(SQLServer, Oracle, Sybase).

I have been interested in PostgreSQL as an alternative to the commercial level engines I have used.

I finally began working with it the other day and successfully installed it on my Windows 2003 Server at home.  Along
withit I also installed PgAdmin for database administration and development purposes.

Once everything was up and running I then installed PgAdmin on my primary workstation so that I could use it to develop
mydatabase associated components along with my projects in .NET.  Here is where my problems began with the
connectivity.

Practically all of the issues were related to a damaged pg_hba.conf file on my server.  However, try as I might to
correctthe settings via the corresponding editor, my connection problems on my workstation persisted.

I had noticed that the pg_hba.conf editor in PgAdmin was not responding properly to saves and edits of my entries as
manytimes when I brought the data back up, entries I had just made were missing.

I finally decided to look at the pg_hba.conf file in a text editor since I couldn't seem to eliminate my connection
issuewhich was always reporting errors with this configuration file.  What I found was a file that contained entries
thatI had previously deleted while also showing an entry that appeared to be incorrectly formatted.  I cleaned up the
filemanually and was able to eliminate the connectivity issue and successfully connect from my workstation.

As a person new to the PostgreSQL database this issue should be of concern since it involves connectivity.  I would
recommendthe following:

 1) Review the processing of the pg_hba.conf file editor in PGAdmin for its accuracy since it appears to be rather
inaccurate    currently. 2) Provide more in-depth documentation in terms of working with this particular configuration
file. Right now the most important    set of parameters, the IP address and the mask, are poorly clarified.  There
shouldbe far more examples than those already being    shown along with concise descriptions how to provide IP
addressesfor a multitude of scenarios along with descriptions as to how to     associate them with the correct mask.

Steve Naidamast blackfalconsoftware@ix.netcom.com

Сообщение: Re: Weird Popup Menus - pgAdmin 1.8.4
Сообщение: Re: Weird Popup Menus - pgAdmin 1.8.4