Re: Does RelCache/SysCache shrink except when relations are deleted?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Does RelCache/SysCache shrink except when relations are deleted?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from MauMau's message of jue sep 29 09:23:48 -0300 2011:

> The amount of physical memory is 8GB, which is enough for the workload. I
> asked the customer for the output of "SHOW ALL", but I haven't received it
> yet. However, shared_buffers should be less than 1.6GB because, as I wrote
> in the previous mail, top command showed 1.6GB in "VIRT" column before
> executing somefunc() PL/pgSQL function.

You don't really know this; some operating systems (Linux in particular)
does not show shared memory as in use by a process until it is accessed.
It may very well have well over 1.6 GB of shared_buffers, yet not show
that in VIRT.