Re: What Would You Like To Do?

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: What Would You Like To Do?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 21:21 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> Later this week I'm giving a [brief][] for an audience of what I
> hope will be corporate PostgreSQL users that covers how to get a
> feature developed for PostgreSQL. The idea here is that there are
>  a lot of organizations out there with very deep commitments to
> PostgreSQL, who really take advantage of what it has to offer,
> but also would love additional features PostgreSQL doesn't offer.
> Perhaps some of them would be willing to fund development of the featured they need.

Hannu Krosing / 2ndQuadrant
* more enhancements to pl/python - use real function arguments,   store modules in database, direct support for
postgresqltypes,  operators and functions, automatic startup command,   automatic ORM from table definitions, ...*
varioussupport functionality for replication and automatic growth  of sharded databases - user defined tuple visibility
functions,  triggers for DDL and ON COMMIT/ON ROLLBACK, ...* putting time travel (which Oracle calls "flashback
queries")back  into postgreSQL* moving tuple visibility in a separate index-like structure which  should be highly
compressiblein most cases, as a way to enabling  index-only scans, column oriented storage and effective table
compression,...

> [brief]: http://postgresopen.org/2011/schedule/presentations/83/
>
> Toward the end of the presentation, I'd like to make some suggestions and offer to do some match-making. I'm thinking
primarilyof listing some of the stuff the community would love to see done, along with the names of the folks and/or
companieswho, with funding, might make it happen. My question for you is: What do you want to work on?

> Here's my preliminary list:
>
> * Integrated partitioning support: Simon/2nd Quadrant
> * High-CPU concurrency: Robert/Enterprise DB
> * Multimaster replication and clustering: Simon/2nd Quadrant
> * Multi-table indexes: Heiki? Oleg & Teodor?
> * Column-leve collation support: Peter/Enterprise DB
> * Faster and more fault tolerant data loading: Andrew/PGX
> * Automated postgresql.conf Configuration: Greg/2nd Quadrant
> * Parallel pg_dump: Andrew/PGX
> * SET GLOBAL-style configuration in SQL: Greg/2nd Quadant
> * Track table and index caching to improve optimizer decisions: Robert/Enterprise DB
>
> Thanks to Greg Smith for adding a few bonus ideas I hadn't thought of. What else have you got? I don't think we
necessarilyhave to limit ourselves to core features, BTW: projects like PostGIS and pgAdmin are also clearly popular,
andnew projects of that scope (or improvements to those!) would no doubt be welcome. Also, I'm highlighting PGXN and an
exampleof how this sort of thing might work.

От: Christopher Browne
Сообщение: Re: Range Types - symmetric
От: "David E. Wheeler"
Сообщение: Re: What Would You Like To Do?