sorting months according to fiscal year

От Enzen user
Тема sorting months according to fiscal year
Дата
Re: sorting months according to fiscal year  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
Список pgsql-sql
Hi
I have to  rearrange the months according to the fiscal year i.e from April
to march and use the same in the order by clause of a query.
I have written the following postgresql function for the same, but to_number
is returning an error.
Can you please tell me where i'm going wrong?
Instead of the function to_number can you suggest any other function that
will convert a particular month to its corresponding month number(ex:
april=4 or jan=1)

CREATE FUNCTION sort_month(to_number('April','MM')) RETURNS numeric AS $$
DECLARE

BEGIN
      CASE WHEN 4 THEN 1           WHEN 5 THEN 2           WHEN 6 THEN 3           WHEN 7 THEN 4           WHEN 8 THEN
5          WHEN 9 THEN 6           WHEN 10 THEN 7           WHEN 11 THEN 8           WHEN 12 THEN 9           WHEN 1
THEN10           WHEN 2 THEN 11           WHEN 3 THEN 12           ELSE 0

END;

$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;