Building an home computer for best Poker Tracker performance

От mdxxd
Тема Building an home computer for best Poker Tracker performance
Дата
Re: Building an home computer for best Poker Tracker performance  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: Building an home computer for best Poker Tracker performance  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: Building an home computer for best Poker Tracker performance  (mdxxd <matann@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I'm about to buy a new desktop home computer and my main concern is best
Poker Tracker performance.
Poker Tracker uses PostgreSQL so I thought this will be the best place to
ask.

My DB is big, around 5M hands(big is relative of course), I use complex
HUD(if you know what it is), run complex reports and play 12+ tables.
Complex is relatively complex to other PT users, I don't know how it
compared to other tasks.

I have questions about CPU/RAM/SSD:
CPU:
*Will PostgreSQL benefit from using hyperthreading in i7 2600k CPU? Or will
there be no noticeable performance change if I use i5 2500K CPU(i.e no HT,
just 4 cores)?
*Will there be noticeable performance improvements if I OC my CPU from
3.3ghz/3.4ghz(with turbo bust to 3.7ghz/3.8ghz) to 4.5ghz?

RAM:
*Will there be noticeable performance improvements if I will use 16GB RAM
over 8GB RAM? I know big servers uses at least 16GB(often 32GB).
*Will there be noticeable change between CAS 9 and CAS 8/7? 1333mhz/1600mgz
ddr3 ram?

SSD:
Different SSD excel in different areas. I know that for general PC usage, 4K
Q1 random read/write is the most important.
What is the most important for PT3(and PostgreSQL)  usage? Random? sequel?
4K/8K/16K / 32K/ +? 4K-64Thrd? 4K QD4/QD16/QD32 ? etc ...

*I will use windows 7(x64)

Any other recommendations? (regards to hardware, I will look for tuning
after i'll buy the computer).

Thanks.