Inheritence issue scheme advice?

От Casey Havenor
Тема Inheritence issue scheme advice?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm obviously new.   But making great progress in PostgreSQL with my new
application...

Setup:
 I'm running on MAC.
Postgre 9.0.4
Virtual Machine with application dev in Linux.

Problem:
 I like many other have come across the inherit issues.

I found the thread here about such issue...
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/FK-s-to-refer-to-rows-in-inheritance-child-td3287684.html

I grabbed the "fk_inheritance.v1.patch" file and have been trying to install
it for the last two hours. -- Got some help in hackers space so figured this
out.  BUT was it was recommended not to utilize a hacked version of
PostgreSQL.

Also person said that partitioning might be a way to go... BUT

Partitioning becomes impossible as I'd have to hunt down every single row
from every table within the hierarchy when needed.   I've got an object
driven system with permissions for users so I'll easily have thousands of
rows to manage across 100's of tables.

For inheritance I'm using it for the following.  ONLY on/with UNIQUE
CONSTRAINTS and FOREIGN KEYS with OIDS enabled - which from my understanding
that shouldn't be an issues as there shouldn't any duplicate entries that
cause a deadlock?   -- So I would think this patch would be ok?

Is there another way that won't be such a headache - cost tons of man hours
- and still be efficient?

I'm open for anything as I haven't been able to make any progress today :(.

-----
Warmest regards,

Casey Havenor