Re: Recurring events

От Vincent Veyron
Тема Re: Recurring events
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Le mardi 07 juin 2011 à 13:28 +0200, Thomas Guettler a écrit :

> On 07.06.2011 09:57, Vincent Veyron wrote:
> > Le lundi 06 juin 2011 à 12:59 +0200, Thomas Guettler a écrit :
> >
> >> how do you store recurring events in a database?
> >>
> >> Selecting all events in a week/month should be fast (comming from an index).
> >>
> >> My solution looks like this:
> >>
> >> Table event:
> >>
> >> Columns: id, name, recurring, start_datetime, end_datetime
> >>
> >> recurring is weekly, monthly, yearly or NULL.
> >>

> > Maybe you could try something like what is used in cron, the scheduling
> > program for GNU/Linux
>
> I know cron very well. But I need to get all events on day X between time1 and time2 very quickly.
> If I build a crontab like table, I need to check all entries before I can
> know which crontab lines get executed during this period.

Well, this would require some thoughts and a study of the data, but the
idea is to do :

CREATE TABLE event (
id serial primary key,
name text,
dow integer,
dom integer,
h_start time);

insert into event (name, dow, h_start)
values ('event1', 1, '09:45');

insert into event (name, dow, h_start)
values ('event2', 2, '09:45');

select * from event where dow=(
SELECT EXTRACT(DOW FROM current_date));

 id |  name  | dow | dom | h_start

CREATE TABLE event_2 (
id serial primary key,
name text,
last_event_date timestamp,
delay_before_next_occurence interval);

insert into event_2 (name, last_event_date,
delay_before_next_occurence)
values ('event1', current_date - interval '1 day', '1 day');

insert into event_2 (name, last_event_date,
delay_before_next_occurence)
values ('event1', current_date - interval '2 days', '1 day');

select * from event_2 where last_event_date +
delay_before_next_occurence=current_date;

 id |  name  |   last_event_date   | delay_before_next_occurence
  1 | event1 | 2011-06-06 00:00:00 | 1 day

A lot depends on the data and its distribution, which requires quite a
bit of study. I find it pays off rather well in application development
time afterwards, though.

--
Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/