Re: version for sun cobalt qube 3

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: version for sun cobalt qube 3
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Weber Gerhard <gerhard.weber@datura.ch> writes:
> we have a cobalt qube 3 with an old version 6.5 of postgresql. we use
> postgresql 7.2.3 on other platforms like windows.
> what we have to do for installing the mentioned, newest version on our
> cobalt qube 3? wich version we hav to download? how to install  on it?

IIRC, the Qube system uses Postgres itself for storing system data.
You'd better talk to Sun about possible compatibility issues before
you try updating the instance that the system uses.

The path of greatest safety would be to leave the system's instance
alone, and build a separate newer-version DB that you run in parallel
with the old DB.

To do that, just configure with an installation directory and default
port number different from where the system DB lives.  Build, install,
initdb in a different directory from the system's, and you're set.