Re: BUG #5880: Rounding error when copying a REAL numeric value to DOUBLE PRECISION

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #5880: Rounding error when copying a REAL numeric value to DOUBLE PRECISION
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
"brad" <smithbs@gmail.com> writes:
> Steps to recreate are below.  The real value is improperly rounded when
> inserted into a field that is double.  94.31 is stored as 94.3099975585938
> when it is inserted into a double precision column.

This is not a bug, it's just the typical behavior of float arithmetic.
"94.31" doesn't have any exact equivalent in float4, so when you convert
it to a form that is willing to print more decimal places, you find out
that indeed the stored value wasn't quite 94.31.

If this sort of thing makes you uncomfortable, probably you should be
using type "numeric" instead.