Re: .ini support for .pgpass

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: .ini support for .pgpass
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2011-04-05 at 16:04 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Well any libpq app but yes. I actually wonder as to the legitmacy of
> having both a pgpass and a pg_service. Why not just one of them?

So you can keep passwords in a safer place (= less permissions) than the
rest of the connection information.

Note also that .pgpass is a mapping from connection information to
password, whereas pg_service.conf is a mapping from service name to
connection information.  So they operate on different levels.

It's not actually clear from your syntax example what semantics you are
trying to achieve.