Re: patch src/bin/psql/help.c

От alex avriette
Тема Re: patch src/bin/psql/help.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> Per the discussion earlier re: sockets and psql
>
> It would be clearer if you list the environment variables in a separate
> list below the options, not in the middle of the options without
> explanation.  It seems, though, that if you list them in psql, you
> need to
> list them everywhere they apply, and that might get a little verbose.

Yeah. I would be happy to wander through and add a quick blurb about
the environment variables to the rest of the bin/ tree. However, I
think you're right, that it is a little too verbose. I couldn't come up
with a better way to phrase it. I suppose it might be better to leave
it out. My original aim was to make sure that the --help output
included the use of a directory for -h.

Hm. Alternatively, something like mpg123's --longhelp comes to mind.
Does anyone else see a need for something like that?

> However, the name of the environment variable is PGUSER, not $PGUSER.

Against my better judgment, I'll bite. 'Scuze me?

Alex