Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix blatantly uninitialized variable in recent commit.

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix blatantly uninitialized variable in recent commit.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 00:53 +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Doesn't anybody around here pay attention to compiler warnings?
>
> > If you see one, then I accept one was there. I didn't see one, and a
> > full make distclean and re-compile doesn't show a compiler warning for
> > that either. So I guess I'm doing something wrong, on this platform:
>
> > I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, with commands for development:
> > ./configure --enable-cassert --enable-depend --enable-debug
> > make -j4
>
> Hmm ... the only plausible reason I can think of for gcc not showing
> that warning would be building with -O0 (which disables the flow graph
> computations needed to detect uses of uninitialized values).  Your
> configure command doesn't betray any such thing, but maybe you've got
> some CFLAGS overrides you're not showing us?

No, nothing set

> I usually find that -O1 is the best compromise setting for development
> builds.  It enables uninitialized-variable warnings but doesn't produce
> code that's completely unfriendly to gdb.  (Sometimes I do recompile a
> specific file at -O0 if it's making no sense during single-stepping.)
>
> > The compile output has been somewhat dirty of late, with various
> > messages, which if nothing else indicated to me that fairly strict
> > warnings were enabled... though I guess not.
>
> In my builds, the only warning anywhere is the unused variable in
> gram.y, which is a bison bug that we can't do anything about (except
> complain to the bison folk, which I've done).  It might be worth trying
> to clean up those warn_unused_result things, if other people are seeing
> those.

Thanks, will investigate.

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage