How to reduce WAL files in Point in time recovery

От Amee Sankhesara - Quipment India
Тема How to reduce WAL files in Point in time recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi,

I have setup PITR in PostgreSQL. I am taking base backup at every specific interval and also kept WAL files of size 16 MB each.

Now the situation is that even there is no any major change in database, it suddenly started creating too many WAL files.

I have gathered statistics with count of WAL files created on specific dates as shown below:

Date       | WAL file count

-----------| -------------

2016-08-31 |  1569

2016-08-30 |  3031

2016-08-29 |  2664

2016-08-28 |  1251

2016-08-27 |  1231

2016-08-26 |  1946

2016-08-25 |  1850

2016-08-24 |  1666

2016-08-23 |  1562

2016-08-22 |  1525

2016-08-21 |   765

2016-08-20 |   761

2016-08-19 |  1180

2016-08-18 |  1077

2016-08-17 |  1064

2016-08-16 |   832

2016-08-15 |   732

2016-08-14 |   402

2016-08-13 |   691

2016-08-12 |  1991

2016-08-11 |   465

here we are expecting normal count to be between 600 to 800 according to our database transactions. But in above statistics you can see major fluctuation in file counts. I do not understand where the problem is and how can I find the root cause of the problem ?

Also I would like to inform that few days back I had performed full vacuum on 2 or 3 tables which were having size of 3 to 4 GB. But I do not guess it is because of this vacuum.

So could you please provide me guidelines to get this problem solved ?

Thanks and Regards,

Amee

Amee Sankhesara
Database Developer

.Net Department

T / +91 (0) 94295 45266
amee.sankhesara@ / www.quipment.in

QTwee Group BV
KvK Arnhem 60858001
BTW NL854090721B01
mail@ / www.quipment.nl

Hoofdkantoor Nijmegen
Kerkenbos 1236 C
6546 BE Nijmegen

Tel.

+31 (0)24 372 47 00

Fax.

+31 (0)24 372 47 07

Quipment India
903-904 Landmark,
Beside Titanium City Centre,
Anandnagar Road, 100ft Ring Road,
Ahhmedabad
Gujarat - 380015 - India
Tel. +91 (0) 79 4009 7847

Disclaimer

This e-mail message (including any attachment) is intended only for the personal use of the recipient(s) named above. This message is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.