Re: log_hostname and pg_stat_activity

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: log_hostname and pg_stat_activity
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2011-01-18 at 19:24 -0500, Steve Singer wrote:
> However if I connect with a line in pg_hba that matches on an IP
> network then my client_hostname is always null unless log_hostname is
> set to true.  This is consistent with the behavior you describe but I
> think the average user will find it a bit confusing.  Having a column
> that is always null unless a GUC is set is less than ideal but I
> understand why log_hostname isn't on by default.

Well, we have all these track_* variables, which also control what
appears in the statistics views.

After thinking about this some more, I think it might be better to be
less cute and forget about the interaction with the pg_hba.conf hostname
behavior.  That is, the host name is set if and only if log_hostname is
on.  Otherwise you will for example have an inconsistency between the
statistics views and the server log, unless you want to argue that we
can override the log_hostname setting based on what happens in
pg_hba.conf.  That's just getting too weird.