Re: Follow Up: How to properly build postgresql version 7.2 on Unix Platforms?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Follow Up: How to properly build postgresql version 7.2 on Unix Platforms?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Andre' Blanchard" <amblan57@bellatlantic.net> writes:
> Solaris Platform - If we build with 1). the Solaris C
> compiler(/opt/SUNWspro/SC4.0/bin/cc) and 2). the with-obdc option in
> configure, you will encounter a multiply defined symbol error during the
> compilation.  Bug # 584 has been submitted for this.

AFAIK the ball is in your court on this one: Nishad Prakash pointed out
a possible solution
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2002-02/msg00072.php
but whether it actually works on Solaris needs to be tested.

> Problem 2: HP UX 11.0 Platform - If we build with 1). the HP ansi C
> compiler, debug builds will cause compiler to generate a segmentation
> violation when building /src/backend/access/heap/heapam.c
> Bug #587:  Postgresql will not build on HP-UX 11.0 in debugmode has been
> submitted for this

As you were already told, this is HP's bug not ours.

> Another problem exists on HP when selecting version 2.95.3 of the gcc
> compiler : compiler warnings will be generated for the following section of
> configure

> 2511: checking how to run the C++ preprocessor which causes this check to
> fail

> In file included from /usr/include/pwd.h:79,
>                  from
> /opt/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00/2.95.3/include/stdlib.h:352,
>                  from configure:2525:
> /opt/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00/2.95.3/include/stdio.h:30:
> warning: `__va__list' redefined
> /opt/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00/2.95.3/include/stdlib.h:28:
> warning: this is the location of the previous definition

> This in turn forces the configure script to choose the default /lib/cpp,
> which on HP will not work.  This check should provide a means to ignore
> warnings which do not impact the choice of g++ as a valid C++ preprocessor.

This looks to me like a gcc installation problem.  If the installation
hasn't managed to munge the system headers correctly then there's not a
lot of prospect that things will actually work; so I'm not convinced
that the correct solution is to poke a hole in Autoconf's standard C++
cpp test.  Suggest you take this up with the gcc people.  (FWIW, gcc
2.95.3 works fine on HPUX 10.20.  Perhaps more recent releases have
been updated to get things right on HPUX 11.)

> Problem 3: AIX 4.3.3 with VisualAge 5.0 - Whether we build with gcc or xlc,
> the build will fail when it cannot locate our tcl 8.3.3 shared library
> resources (which in our build environment are not located in /usr/local)

This might or might not be resolved by the patch that Andreas proposed,
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2002-01/msg00047.php
which was deemed too late to include in the 7.2 release.  Would you like
to try it and see?

BTW, your bug report does not look like it's "failing to locate" the
shared library; those are duplicate-symbol errors, not unresolved-symbol
errors.  I speculate that some adjustment is needed in the switches
being passed to the linker, but I dunno what.